Food Trends to Know About: Fancy Food Show 2013January 11, 2017 /
The Fancy Food Show includes more than 2400 exhibitors from more than 80 countries. Obviously, this is a very small sampling of all of the innovative products hitting the market!
New frozen treats include the following.
- Greenwave Smoothie Pops (http://www.greenwavesmoothies.com/):
- Contain banana, orange, mango, and kale (Kalelicious™) or banana, spinach, coconut, lime, and pineapple (Greena Colada™)
- Deebee’s Tea Pops (http://www.specialteafoods.com/frozen-treats/):
- Come in flavors including Cherry Berry, Classic Iced Tea, Mango Tango, Mint-a-Licious, and Coconut Groove
- LifeIce (http://www.lifeice.com/):
- Advertised as all natural, no preservatives, gluten free, kosher certified, no genetically modified organisms (GMOs), bisphenol A (BPA)-free packaging, fat free, and low in calories and sugar
- Come in Berry Bite™, Chocolate Crisp™, Citrus Chomp™, and Green Grind™ flavors
Products featuring exotic grains
The variety of products featuring exotic grains continues to grow with products such as these.
- Chia Pods® (http://www.thechiaco.com.au/products/chia-pod):
- Described as containing one full serving of Australian-grown sun-ripened chia seeds mixed with coconut milk and real fruit
- Contain just three ingredients and no added sugar
- Cold processed to ensure they retain the raw nutrition, taste, and color of the fruit
- Banana Chia Pod has the sweetness of a real banana
- Blueberry is a little bit tart from real blueberries
- Coconut milk and all of the fruits are fairly traded and sustainably farmed
- Bissinger’s® Quinoa Agave Crunch:
- Made from Rainforest Alliance certified cocoa with puffed quinoa splashed in agave
- Zatar™ Chips (http://www.flamousbrands.com/zatarup.html):
- Ingredient list for Zatar Chips:
Freekeh is the new superfood. It is wheat that is harvested while still green and moist. It is then roasted over an open fire to remove the chaff. It is high in fiber, protein, and calcium and is compared to bulgur wheat.
- Freekehlicious™ (http://www.freekehlicious.com/):
- Produces whole grain freekeh and cracked freekeh
- Offers many recipes on its Web site
Dried fruits and vegetables
The popularity of dried fruits and vegetables continues to grow.
- Greenday™ (http://www.greenday.co.th/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=118):
- Has introduced a new line of products, including Broccoli Chips, Durian Chips, Mango Chips, Okra Chips, Jackfruit Chips, and others
- Snapz® Crisps (http://www.snapzcrisps.com/index.htm):
- Are available in Apple Crisps, Pineapple Crunch, Crunchy Raisins, Tomato Crunch, and Grilled Zucchini Crunch varieties
Many, many choices are available for the modern tea drinker, but here are a few new products set to impress.
- Ayala’s Herbal Water® (http://www.herbalwater.com/shop/):
- Now offers herbal tea in Rooibos Cinnamon Rose Petal, Chamomile Bergamot Vanilla, Nutmeg Cacao Nibs Cardamom, and Peppermint Melissa Spearmint flavors
- Numi® Organic Teas (http://shop.numitea.com/Savory-Tea/c/NumiTeaStore@Teabag@Savory):
- Now has savory flavors, including Beet Cabbage, Broccoli Cilantro, Carrot Curry, Fennel Spice, Spinach Chive, and Tomato Mint
- Pukka (http://www.pukkaherbs.com/detox.html):
- Now offers a detox tea that contains organic aniseed, fennel, and cardamom, described as a unique blend of cleansing herbs with “fantastic detoxifying properties”
- Web site suggests drinking “daily to enjoy the full benefits of this wonderfully soothing digestive tea”
Reference and recommended reading
Jackson KL. Summer Fancy Food Show 2013: a world of specialty food options. New-Jersey On-Line LLC Web site. http://www.nj.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2013/07/summer_fancy_food_show_2013_a_world_of_specialty_food_options.html. Published July 6, 2013. Accessed October 22, 2013.